Date: Tuesday, May 4, 2021
Time: 16:00 – 19:00 (CEST)
Registration Fees: Complimentary
Many teams building highly scalable, cloud-native applications, have struggled with finding a data solution that can keep pace with the needs of their application. Often this has meant a choice between using a managed database, or taking on the task of deploying and managing a distributed database on Kubernetes. Apache Cassandra™ is a powerful database used in many applications that require resilience and scalability, but has traditionally been challenging to deploy and manage effectively on Kubernetes. Now the Kubernetes and Cassandra communities have come together in a great collaboration called K8ssandra, a production-ready cloud-native database platform that makes it easy to run Cassandra™ on Kubernetes.
In this workshop, you will learn how to deploy and manage a data tier based on Apache Cassandra™ cluster in Kubernetes using K8ssandra. We’ll explore activities using hands-on exercises, that include:
- Creating a K8ssandra release using Helm
- Using a benchmarking tool (NoSQLBench) to generate read/write load on the database
- Monitoring database performance through metrics and alerts
- Breaking nodes in the database cluster on purpose to observe how Cassandra self-heals
- Scaling the database up and down
- Deploying applications on top of the database using CQL and REST APIs
- Backing up and restoring data
Aleks Volochnev, DataStax
Jeff Carpenter, DataStax
How to Register: Pre-registration is required. To register for Running a Cloud-Native Data Tier with K8ssandra, add it on during your KubeCon + CloudNativeCon registration.